Re: Nungesser's Nie.17

Boeke Joseph R (boeke@coral.bucknell.edu)
Fri, 6 Oct 1995 09:22:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 6 Oct 1995 VITKUSJ@aol.com wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. My knowledge is pretty hazy here, limited to a very
> nice Arco book on WWI planes (photo of striped N.1895 labelled N.17 with a
> top wing Lewis gun mount) and a magazine article given by a friend (photo of
> later N.1895 with "rounded" fuselage labelled N.24, with stripes that wrap
> completely around both wings--thick on top, thinner on bottom--and stripes on
> the fuselage deck).

Hmmm, this is interesting. I thought that the last Nieuport fighters to
have over the wing mounted guns were the Nie.11s. I guess that there may
have been some exceptions, but one of the improvements in the Nie.17 was
supposed to be a synchronized gun (at least, that is what I thought).

There were (are?) Nie.7, Nie.11, Nie.17, Nie.23, Nie.24 & Nie.27 models.
All roughly similar (actually, the Nie.27 was quite a bit different). I
am pretty confident that Nungesser flew at least the 11,17,23 & 24 (he
was in the hospital again at the end of the war, and may not have had the
opportunity to fly the Nie.27.

At any rate, one thing that I do know about the Nieuports is that they
had three equally spaced white bands around the outer-wing struts (this
is pretty clear in all of my photos). I'm not sure if this was painted,
or some kind of reinforcement bracing, but it is a small detail that you
will want to remember.

I'll continue to pass along the collective wisdom of the list. Talk to you
soon...

Joe
boeke@bucknell.edu