Nungesser's Nie.17 (was: 72nd Wildcat reccommendations...)

Boeke Joseph R (boeke@coral.bucknell.edu)
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 07:08:20 -0400 (EDT)

John,

I will start checking my resources for you (which includes forwarding
this message to the WW1 modeling list :)

Unfortunately, I have alot more knowledge about Collishaw's tripe than
Nungesser's Nie.17. I have modeled 3 of 4 of planes of the "Black Flight"
(I am hoping to do a diorama one of these days :)

As for your specific questions...

On Thu, 5 Oct 1995 VITKUSJ@aol.com wrote:

> Now it's my turn. I'm making my first two WWI planes (both 1/72):
> Collishaw's Triplane (N5492) (Revell) and Nungesser's Nieuport 17 (with the
> top wing stripes--I'd say N.1895, but that covers them all) (Revell with
> Roseparts resin fuselage). My questions concern the latter.
>
> 1. I heard somewhere that Nungesser replaced the Rhone with a Clerget. True?

Yes. In December 1916, he left the front and was admitted to a hospital
(he had several minor injuries that had accumulated during the battle of
Verdun (broken bones, dislocated joints, etc...)

When he returned in May 1917, he was flying a Nie.17 with a Clerget 130hp
engine (inplace of the 110hp Le Rhone).

> 2. Did this aircraft have the black wing outlines? I can't see them in my
> photo, but it's pretty hard to tell.

Hmmm, I don't think so, but I'll have to defer to the WWI modeling list
on this one. I know in June 1917, he added Red and Blue identification
stripes to his planes. This was due to the fact that he was attacked by
an RFC plane (which he apparently shot down).

> 3. How the hell do you pronounce this name. It certainly doesn't look
> French. My wife says "Noon'-ges-ser"; a book on tape said
> "Noon'-jzah-sair'." Is either close?

My French is terrible (I'm translating an article and I am finding I am
very rusty to boot :), so I'm not sure I'll be any help here. I always
assumed it was closer to your wife's idea.

Hopefully my colleagues on WWI can help...

Regards,

Joe
boeke@bucknell.edu