"figure scale" (25mm) vs. "model scale" (1/72)

Joseph R. Boeke (boeke@bucknell.edu)
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 15:54:37 -0400

At 11:08 AM 10/20/95 -0500, Matt Bitner wrote:

> There is also listed a resin 25mm (which is, I think, close to 1/76th /
> 1/72nd) Ft-17 by Fire Force Products out of England for $16.)

Okay, this brings up a point I am always confused by. How do you convert a
figure scale (like 25mm) into a model scale (like 1/72)?

According to my math, in 1/72nd,

1 12" 2.54cm 10mm
-- X --- X ------ X ---- = 4.24mm
72 1" 1cm

Then multiply that figure by 6 (for the average height of a male human).
this last calculation yields:

25.44mm (which is pretty close).

Is this how to do the conversion? This formula yields the following results
(approximately):

figure model
scale scale
------ -----
1.5mm 1/1200 <--
2.6 1/700 <--
--> 4mm 1/203
5.2mm 1/350 <---
--> 6mm 1/305 (which is interesting as it is the same scale
as the old Revell USS Nautilis)
13mm 1/144 <--
--> 15mm 1/120
--> 20mm 1/91
--> 25mm 1/72 <--
38mm 1/48 <--
52mm 1/35 <--
--> 54mm 1/34
57mm 1/32 <--
--> 120mm 1/15

(most figures rounded to nearest whole number).

The arrows indicate "commonly" avialable scales on each side of the aisle.
If this looks screwy, please let me know (one of my ship modeling projects
needs photo etched sailors, and I need to know how tall to draw them :)

Regards,

Joe

| Joseph R. Boeke | The best executive is one who has |
| Manager, Prospect Information | the sense enough to pick good men |
| Bucknell University | to do what he wants done, and the |
| (717) 524-3200 | self-restraint enough to keep |
| (717) 524-3610 (fax) | from meddling with them while |
| | they do it. |
| boeke@bucknell.edu | -- Theodore Roosevelt |