Re: Goering's Fokker D-7

Don Rinker (drinker@fast.net)
Wed, 8 Nov 95 06:35 EST

On Tue, 7 Nov 1995, bshatzer@ednet1.osl.or.gov (Bill Shatzer) wrote:

>>These are painted out "hand-Hold" areas on the wing tips. This particular
>>machine was customized for Goering by the Fokker factory and includes
>>a cut down cockpit,extra hand grips, and the factory all white paint job.
>>

>Hmmm! Maybe, they certainly _do_ look like they could be hand grips.
>Which, to continue the mystery, raises a couple of other questions.
>If they are handgrips,
>
>1) Why? The 'normal' Fokkers seemed to work just fine without 'em.
> What was the impetus for installing 'em on Goering's aircraft?

Not HANDGRIPS , hand holding areas for carrying the wing. On a normal D-VII
these areas are marked out with a simple semi circular stenciled marking
in the approxiomate shape of the blacked out area on Goering s plane
As I recall it say "Hier Anfassen" or something to that effect. Meaning
hold here.

>2) Why are they painted out in a dark color (black?)

Dunno....

See above @ #1
>--

Silver Hill Historic Aviation Ltd. | Research - Documentation
4051 Ivy Lane | Photography - Paints
Easton, Pa. 18045 | Antique Instrumentation