Re: Great Find this weekend!!!!!

C.P. Hart (hartc@spot.colorado.edu)
Tue, 7 Nov 1995 18:18:19 +0000

Joe Boeke wrote:

>I think I did pretty good (especially with the W.29 :). However, every
>silver lining has a cloud... The Sopwith Pups and Nieuport were without
>instructions. I was able to identify the pup by the decal sheet, but I
>haven't been able to ID the Nieuport yet.

Snip for space,

>I also recalled that some one else made an injection W.29, but I can't
>remember who for the life of me now. I'll call Rosemont and ask.

And Howard answered:

There was a company called VeeDay (the precursor of Merlin and/or Pegasus) that
made the W. 29 about 10 - 15 years ago.

Yes, Vee Day did produce an injection molded W.29 kit, complete with
hex camouflage decals (anybody got one to sell ???) about 1980. VeeDay was
the direct precursor to Merlin Models. Just before VeeDay folded a fellow
named Chris Gannon came along to help out the concern. I have heard this
from a couple of sources, I have also heard that Gannon denies this
completely. Be your own judge.

>Finally, what was your best WWI model "find". Has anyone ever run across
>a Meikraft Caproni for $5 (I wish :)

I had two pretty good WW I model finds, both from the same shop,
ironically. About 1975 my favorite (i.e. the only) hobby shop in
Greenville, S.C. sold off their remaining stock of K&B re-issues of Aurora
WW I kits for $1.00 and $2.00 each (no, I didn't buy as many as I should
have). About 1981 the same shop had a big pile of the ENTEX issues of the
6 1/72 Revell kit copies (Albatros D-III, Se-5a, Ni-17,Fokker D-VII, Spad
XIII, Sopwith Camel) for $0.49 each. I bought a huge bag of them for
myself and went back several weeks later and bought another bag for a WW I
modelling friend. There are still a few lurking in my closet somewhere.

Stop drooling, it'll ruin your keyboard.

Charles

hartc@spot.colorado.edu