Re: Goering's Fokker D-7

Don Rinker (drinker@fast.net)
Tue, 7 Nov 95 17:07 EST

On Mon, 6 Nov 1995, bshatzer@ednet1.osl.or.gov (Bill Shatzer) wrote:

>While studying a photo of Goering's 'all white' D-VII, I suddenly
>noticed that there are two dark 'patches' on the tips of both
>the upper and lower wings - like the ends of span-wise stripes,
>maybe?
>
>Anybody else every notice this? I've got two photos of this
>a/c but neither shows the upper surfaces of the wings. Does
>anyone have a photo which show the tops of the wings? What
>are the dark wing-tip 'patches' anyway?

These are painted out "hand-Hold" areas on the wing tips. This particular
machine was customized for Goering by the Fokker factory and includes
a cut down cockpit,extra hand grips, and the factory all white paint job.

Silver Hill Historic Aviation Ltd. | Research - Documentation
4051 Ivy Lane | Photography - Paints
Easton, Pa. 18045 | Antique Instrumentation