Re: Shark Mouth Roland

Bill Shatzer (bshatzer@ednet1.osl.or.gov)
Tue, 7 Nov 1995 10:56:31 -0800

>On Tue, 7 Nov 1995, Bill Shatzer wrote:
>
>> the later eras, there is still some possibility of us amateurs
>> figuring out something new and original. 'Course, I've only
>> got one 'new and original' finding to my credit so far - which
>> is still awaiting general recognition! - but ask me about the 'blue'
>> (?) fuselage band on the 'sharkmouth' Roland CII and I'll
>> show you why it doesn't -really- exist!
>
>Bill,
>
>Please tell us. I was planning on modelling this aircraft!

Thought you'd never ask! :-)

I did a longish letter to the editor published in Windsock
about 5 or 6 years ago on this 'un but basically it boils
to this:

If you line up the shadows on the only existent photo of this
aircraft which supposedly shows the 'stripe', the 'stripe' falls
exactly where the shadow from the barrel of the rear
observer's MG would fall (which is conveniently swung over
to the starboard at just the right angle.)

Reinforcing this is another photo of a 'sharkmouthed' Roland
taken from the port side which shows no stripe at
all. This second photo shows an aircraft which appears
identical to the a/c with the 'stripe', right down to the
painted curtains in the windows and the design of the
sharkmouth.

So either there were two almost identical Rolands, one with
a stripe and one without (unlikely), or there was only one
aircraft and the stripe was added between photo number
2 and photo number 1 (more likely but still improbable for
a number of reasons), or the 'stripe' in photo 1 is merely
the shadow of the parabellum MG barrel (mostly likely of all
and most convincing to me)

Cheers, Bill

--
Bill Shatzer - bshatzer@ednet1.osl.or.gov - aw177@Freenet.Carleton.ca -