Re: Just some stuff.....

Bob Pickwoad (bobpi@primenet.com)
Sat, 4 Nov 1995 05:31:44 -0700 (MST)

At 02:46 PM 11/3/95 -0600, wwi@pease1.sr.unh.edu wrote:
>Got my copy of The 'Great' Times from the Great War Aeroplanes Association.
>This is one of the groups that is forming from the ashes of The First.
>Anyway they have the first of what looks like a 2 part article by Dick
>Hansen. Disck, for those who don't follow the scale R/C world, is a WWI
>modeler from way back andworks very closely with the Proctor folks.
>Apparently Dick, friends and Proctor were approached by Lucasfilm to do some
>model flying for the Young Indiana Jones adventure "The Attack of the
>Hawkmen' which was a topic of discussion here a couple weeks ago. The pilots
>and aircraft used were -
>
>Mike Brewer - Albatros DVa
>Randy Hansen - Nieuport 11
>Dennis Welty - Nieuport 28
>Dick Hansen - Albatros DVa, Nieuport 11 and a BE2e
>
>So now I REALLY want to see this thing! Did anybody get a tape?
>
>If anyone is interested in a mounted 4" square piece of fabric from a DVa or
>DH4 (from the Smithsonian restorations), GWAA is offering them with
>documentation about the original aircraft and a letter of authenticity from
>the Smithsonian for $198 each or framed for $338. Call 800-533-7763 if you
>are interested!
>
>Charlie Knotek is offerings a catalog or his Air-wear. Neat T-shirts! Write to:
>Sky Etching, Inc.
>P.O. Box 855
>Syosset, NY 11791
>
>I have a couple of WWI aviation t-shirts I picked up at Rhinebeck. They are
>great. Nice conversation pieces.
>
>Seems that a fellow named Tim Starks is holding the 1st Annual Western Front
>Gathering of Eagles, June 24 - 27, 1996 at the Cloverdale Airport,
>Cloverdale, CA. 70m N of SF. He claims there will be Formation Tours, 2
>place rides, artifacts, swap meet, WWI R/C models and looks like either the
>models or full scale (it isn't specific) will be doing balloon busts, flour
>drop, spot landing etc. After dark will be barbecue and WWI movies. Call
>(210) 748-2112 for more info.
>
>So there you have it. Some stuff. I have no interest in any of these groups
>either by membership or by financial involvement. Just thought the list was
>a bit slow these days and needed SOMETHING on it!
>
>Doug
>'I am a traveler of | Douglas R. Jones
> both Time and Space' | IEX Corporation
> Led Zeppelin | (214)301-1307
> | djones@iex.com

In a "somewhat" related topic, I spoke to Mike Brewer at the Scale Masters
regarding the paint job on the Nie.28 he was flying. He had used semi-gloss
acrylic house paint, thinned 50% with water, and sprayed on. He reports that
one coat was all that was required. The paint was 10 years old and, other
than some fading (which provided a very good weathered effect) there were
absolutely no problems with it.

We had discussed the use of automotive paints. He had painted a Phalz (not
sure what model) that he flew in the movie with acrylic laquer, and the
drumming of the wing fabric caused spider web cracks throughout the paint,
even with the use of flex agents. He is convinced that house paint is the
way to go, as am I after examining the Nieuport.

Bob Pickwoad