Re: AN Ila Muromets

C.P. Hart (hartc@spot.colorado.edu)
Mon, 30 Oct 1995 15:19:02 +0000

Jesse Thorn writes:

>I compared my kit with drawings in the old Harleyford book. There are
>shape inconsistencies for the wings, tailplanes, and rudders. I do not
>know if the drawings are accurate - old book. I also compared them to the
>drawings in Combat Aircraft of WWI in Color. Again, there are shape
>inconsistencies.
>
>I assume the kit represents a Mk V. Perhaps there were design differences
>during the production run of the original aircraft and this accounts for
>the shape discrepencies. Anyway, I have been looking thru my pile of old
>FSMs trying to find the volume with the article about Bob Rice's
>scratchbuilt Ilya. I seem to recall this had drawings, also.

The most recent drawings I have seen of this aircraft are in the
recent Smithsonian book,"Igor Sikorsky-- The Russian Years". This is an
excellent book and comes highly recommended. There is an appendix in the
back with some rather small drawings by Harry Woodman and a listing of all
Ilya Mourmets a/c built. There were some substantial differences between
many of these, not the least of which were the engines used, a chronic
problem for these aircraft as outlined inthe book. I think that the
Woodman drawings have appeared elsewhere, but I can't remember where.

Although this Smithsonian book was only published 3-4 years ago, I
think it may already be out of print? I found mine at a used book store.

Charles

hartc@spot.colorado.edu