Re: Lindberg SE-5a

Jesse Thorn (thorn@nando.net)
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 12:31:34 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, Thomas Eisenhour wrote:

> "Fortunately for W.W.I enthusiasts, [Lindberg's] two contributions are the best
> models in their scales. The S.E.5a is _really_ 1/48 scale, unlike Aurora's [now
> Monogram's] 1/46 scale model and the Jenny is the best Jenny available, possibly
> the best injection molded 1/48 scale W.W.I model of all (!) With very little work
> it can easily win contests, as KCC publisher John Burns' JN 4 did in the 1976
> IPMS Convention."
>
> The SE-5a kit was first issued by Lindberg circa 1958.
>
> I'll grant you that review is a bit dated but a good kit IS a good kit no matter
> how old it is. Don't be put off by the bright yellow plastic!

I enlarged some 1/72nd scale Ian Stair drawings and compared the kit
parts to these. The kits is not that different from the drawings. The
shape of the kit cockpit cutout is off but easily fixed. The 'gulleys'
for the Vickers guns are kinda ugly but hey, we are modelers after all
and don't let small problems like this sully our grand view of the
completed project. Nice looking decals. The propellor looks like 4 canoe
padels joined at the handles and doesn't resemble any photo in the Squadron
Signal book.

I think Eduard makes a PE sheet for this kit and you can replace the kit
guns with Aeroclub parts. All in all, I'd say this kit is a bargain
for 1/48th scale modelers especially when the alternatives are
$25-$40 DML & Eduard kits.

--Jesse