Re: Lozenge: Dumb Questions

Bill Shatzer (bshatzer@ednet1.osl.or.gov)
Sun, 3 Dec 1995 23:15:36 -0800

>Hello all! OK, so this question might give away my lack of experience with
>lozenge and defy my hopes of being a fully acceptable to my fellow modelers
>;), BUT...
>1.) I just can't seem to get all of those air bubbles out from under my
>lozenge decals. I've tried many methods, and so far I've simply poked and
>prodded with needles and Solvaset to get those bubbles out, but there's
>always one or two I have to shave off later, then having to mix and match
>paint for touch up. Is there a secret I haven't been let in on?

Well, a paper napkin dipped in Microset (Superset) and lightly pressed over
the decal when 'almost dry' seems to work well for me, most of the time.
I start out by 'blotting' straight down - whatever's left, I just the
'gentle rubbing' (in one direction) technique. Usually, any bubbles left
at the end after everything is dry can be eliminated by:

1. daub the area in Mircosol.
2. prick the bubble repeatedly with a needle.
3. let soak in for a couple minutes.
4. press down hard with a paper napkin well soaked with Microset.

>2.) How about those trailing edges? Is it as easy as cutting out a near
>perect match from the decal sheet? Shrinkage(?) has spoiled my efforts along
>the TEs before, maybe there's another way?

I kinda let it hang over and then trim it with a _real_ sharp Xacto when it's
dried, just a micro-snerd off the trailing edge. Then, a second application
of Microsol will cause the micro-snerd of 'hang-over' to snug down around
the trailing edge. I tend to paint everything with a color that pretty
much matches one of the lozenge colors before I put the decals on - that
way tiny gaps aren't noticable and hand 'touch up' is usually not needed.
(But, we ain't talking about IPMS Nationals winners here, either!)

>3.) Recommended maufacturer? Americal seems to be the accepted choice around
>here, I've used the hexes for an Aviatik. I've used the Aeromaster 5 color
>scheme, it looks fine to me, but a heated debate in AOL's model forum left me
>unsatisfied. Eduard's out-of-the- box seem a bit hard to swallow. Any
>reccomendations?

I've only used Americal and Microscale/Superscale lozenge decals. Both seem
to work just fine as far as the application goes although I tend to like
Americal/Griffin's colors better. Not that they are necessarily better, just
I like 'em better. But both seem to go on just fine if you take your time.
I've no experience with Aeromaster at all so I can't help you on that 'un.

>By the way, I'm a relatively new member to this mailing list, so forgive my
>ignorance if this topic has been covered (pun! :)).

Welcome! Always glad to welcome another masochist who actually enjoys going
blind inserting them tiny rigging wires in them tiny holes! (and, there
is a lot to be said for models of the Fokker D.VII and Dr.I! I'm working
on my second squadron of each!)

Cheers,

--
Bill Shatzer - bshatzer@ednet1.osl.or.gov (soon to be bshatzer@orednet.org)