Re: Books (??) for sale

Richard G. Ivansek (agrafix@ix.netcom.com)
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 17:39:02 -0800

You wrote:

>To continue a thread:

Bomber book

>>> You, me and a lot of other folks have that interest. Recently
a copy
>>> sold via World War One Aeroplanes for $1,100.00 !!!!!!!!
>>

>>You have got to be kidding. You mean my original 60's era copy - 1st
>>printing - is worth $1000+ ???????
>>
>>How about the Fighters and the Marine Aircraft books?
>>

> These books are really "worth" what someone is willing to pay for
>them, and obviously this can be a lot of $$$.
>
> I have the Fighter and Marine a/c volumes. From the copies I
have
>seen of all three (fighters, marine a/c & bombers) I have deduced that
the
>Harleyford Fighter volume was published initially in the mid to late
1950's
>and then later re-printed, how many times I don't know. My copy dates
from
>the early 1970's and is a facsimile edition with rather poor quality
>reproduction of the photographs. Both the Bomber and Marine aircraft
books
>appear to have been published around 1965. From the few copies I have
seen
>of either volume there appears to have been only one printing, hence
the
>relative rarity of both volumes. The prices I have seen for these two
have
>mostly run in the $100 range for the last 10 years or so. I got very
lucky
>and found my copy of the marine a/c book at the 1985 IPMS Nationals
for
>$20.00. I'm not selling mine either.
>
> If anyone out there has any additional, more factual information
on
>this book series I, for one, would be glad to learn more of the
details
>behind them. Given that the drawings in all three volumes are well
over 30
>years old, one has to wonder about their accuracy given the higher
quality
>drawings currently available.
>
>Charles
>
>hartc@spot.colorado.edu
>

> I do believe that the $1100 dollar Harleyford was a typo. That last
before that one that I saw for sale was $135. Their all worth around
that the fighter aircraft book being worth the least at about $75. I
know fo a fact that the Pfalz drawings in it are more acurate than many
of the more recently published drawings. ( note the cross sections as I
discuss earlier ) The Maritime AC book is supposed to be the rarest of
them all, but probaly not as sought after as the bomber and recon one.
$1100 dollars, come on, I don't care if it was signed by Abe Lincoln I
wouldn't pay $1100 for it. $200 tops and I think that is high.

keep em flyin'

Rick Ivansek