Re: Re[2]: lozenge theory

Don Rinker (drinker@fast.net)
Tue, 12 Dec 95 22:43 EST

On Tue, 12 Dec 95, stonto@seaccc.sccd.ctc.edu wrote:
> Well..... I am not REAL knowledgable about all this stuff.
> Please bear with me, ok?
>
> My understanding early aircraft were plain ole doped linen
> and that exposure to the sun broke down the fibers in the
> cloth or something like that. Sound right? So they tried

> So.. the purpose of the stuff: Was it completely for
> camouflage, or was it for fabric protection, both, or what?

Lozenge was ALL camoflage. It did little or nothing for the
fabric. It WAS a WEIGHT saving devive though! Colored dopes are quite
heavy. All the lozenge material needed was some taughtening clear dope
and a protective varnish overcoat.

Silver Hill Historic Aviation Ltd. | Research - Documentation
4051 Ivy Lane | Photography - Paints
Easton, Pa. 18045 | Antique Instrumentation