Re: Detailing Tips?

Jesse Thorn (thorn@nando.net)
Thu, 28 Dec 1995 14:09:08 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 28 Dec 1995, Bill Ciciora wrote:

> Two questions for the members of the list:
>
> 1) How do you mask wheel covers when painting tires?

I have two architect's templates that have about 50 different diameter
circles each. I first paint the rubber tire. Then I find the circle on the
template that best matches the wheel cover. I use this to mask out the
tire and spray paint the wheel covers. Works like a charm.

These templates are cheap and readily available at most art supply stores.

> 2) What do you use to scratchbuild a coaming?

I remove the wire from inside 'bell wire' and use the insulation. Or I
use rubber O rings from a hardware store.

Take the rubber material and cut a slit halfway thru it along
its length with a new XActo blade. Slip the cockpit edge into the slit
and secure with super glue. This takes practice!

--Jesse