Re: SE5as

Bill Shatzer (bshatzer@ednet1.osl.or.gov)
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 20:09:48 -0800

Douglas R. Jones wrote:

>I am currently working on a 1/6 SE5a and I need some suggestions for
>markings etc. I am going to buy the Datafile on the SE5 (assuming I can find
>one) but would like to know if there were any planes with a more 'colorful'
>scheme than the generic PC10 over dopen linen. If not, which pilot/squadron
>had the splashiest markings? I know some of the Sopwith Pups used in
>training squadrons were very colorful! So even something along these lines
>would be great!

You might look at some of the post-armistice USAAS SE5a's - both 25th
and 141st Pursuit had some colorful schemes in that era. Not up to
'Easter Aig" and the other more colorful schemes worn by the 94th
Pursuit's SPAD's but more colorful than the typical RAF PC10 over
linen with a geometric symbol marking at best. I think the Squadron
Signal "In Action" on the SE5 had several pictures and photos of some
of the 25th Pursuit's aircraft.

Cheers,

--
Bill Shatzer - bshatzer@orednet.org -or- aw177@Freenet.Carleton.ca -
"Not everything that counts can be counted and not every thing