Re:(2) WW I Kit Prices

August T. Horvath (horvath@hulaw1.harvard.edu)
Wed, 03 Jan 1996 23:45:05 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 1 Jan 1996 bciciora@pitneysoft.com wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Dec 1995, August wrote:
>
> >As for this Biggles movie business, I notice nobody on the list responded
> >to my suggestion a few weeks ago that a film be made of the Bandy
> >Papers. Does everyone think this is a bad idea, or is it possible that
> >some here are not familiar with Canada's most charismatic flying ace?
>
> Can't say that I'm familiar with him, and he's not listed in
> _Above the Trenches_. Please fill us in :)

Bartholemew W. Bandy is the subject of a series of novels by Canadian
playwright and humorist Donald Jack. Although the series now runs to at
least 7 volumes, the real gems are the first three:

"Three Cheers for Me" (1973)
"That's Me in the Middle" (1973)
"It's Me Again" (1975)

All published by Doubleday. These recount Bandy's adventures as a
Sopwith Camel and Dolphin pilot. The books are some of the funniest
fiction I have read, on a par with Heller's "Catch-22" and Adams'
"Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." Later volumes deal with Bandy's
postwar antics and are much less funny. Do yourself a favor and look for
these the next time you're sniffing around in a used paperback store.

August Horvath horvath@hulaw1.harvard.edu
Harvard Law School