1/72nd Revell kit. In Pedro's own words: "Ruston built Sopwith F1 Camel, Freiston, 1918. When I saw this colourful Camel in an issue of SAMI, I knew that this would be the way my old Revell kit had to look like. The engine and propeller and guns are by Aeroclub, the cowling is a modified Airfix Sopwith Pup, since the kit part was too large and could not be thinned down and the struts were cut from Contrail stock. Other additions were a scribed rear top fuselage panel and some scratchbuilt details inside the cockpit. The paints used were my usual Robiallac household stuff. The decals were ALPS generated. A huge "Thank you" to Erik Pilwaskii for all the help provided. He made it possible."
1/72nd Airfix kit. Worked quite a lot on the kit but made no major modification other than creating the exhaust channel and moving the tail plane a bit inward. Painted using Precision enamel paints (long defunct) and finished as Captain J.T.B. McCudden's machine from 1917.
1/72nd Eduard kit. In Pedro's own words: "Built mostly out of the box, the only modifications being new wing struts cut from contrail stock. For the float struts I used the kit's PE parts which, after being glued in place, were coated with several coats of white PVA glue to achive a decent thickness. The plastic parts of the kit are rather crude and thick and I tried to thin the TE on the wings and tailplane but this can't be done without destroying rib detail. Maybe the answer would be to use the fuselage, floats and PE parts and scratchbuild all the rest.... Paint used was my customary household CDL paint and the woodwork on the floats and the cockpit panel was done with a base coat of light brown enamel scribbed over with watercolour pencil fixed with Klear floor shine."
1/72nd Toko kit. Although not techically WW1, the Snipe is here because it started life as a WW1 type. Finished as Captain G S Sapozhnikov's E6351 of the 1st fighter group, Soviet Air Service Late 1920. Built almost directly out of the box with the only modifications being the addition of a king post, a cockpit interior and all the rigging wires. This PC-10 is a mix (dark green and brown) and the paints used for this were cheap household paints bought at a local supermarket. The clear-doped lined is also from the same source. The blue on the rudder is Humbrol 25, the grey is Extracolor's ocean grey (IIRC) and the aluminium panels are Humbrol polished aluminium. I used the kit's decals and matched their application to a profile created by artist, gentleman and friend Bob Pearson who was kind enough to answer all the many questions I had during the building process.
1/72nd Flashback offering with the TOKO decals. "The kit went together pretty well with the exception of the fuselage insert that covers the rear cockpit opening (since the kit shares the moulds with the 2-seater versions). Once in place I also realised that it did not correspond to the metal panel that sits on top of the bomb racks and this meant that I had to replicate stringers on about half of the length of this panel. Since this would be impossible to do I made new stringers for the full length of the fuselage with .005" strips and once set lightly sanded them to blend them into the kit's surface. The metal panel was also replicated by applying a coat of milliput over the fuselage between the 2 PE access panels on the sides. The only other things that didn't fit were the cabane struts and these were eventually made bit by bit with evergreen rod. CDL is my usual Robiallac household stuff. All weathering was done with watercoulor pencils. Rigging is "smoke" transparent sewing monofilament."