Central Powers Models
by Bill Powers


Albatros DVa

Kit: Eduard (1:72)

Box stock Eduard 1/72nd Albatros DVa. Since it was box stock I chose to do a generic scheme, factory fresh, not even mud on the tires. This is a great kit and I look forward to the profiPACK version.


Dornier D.I

Kit: Meikraft (1:72)

Several years ago, I saw the Dornier DI and wanted to build one, in 1/72 scale. After searching vendor's tables, I found the Meikraft kit. What you see is that kit with much TLC plus a scratchbuilt engine and interior. I used information sent from a friend in Atlanta for reference. The decals are American Gryphon that I bought even longer ago. The propeller is carved from Mahogany. The Spandaus are Paragons breeches with Eduard photo etch for the rest, great combination! Building was fun and the model took third in class at the Columbus IPMS National.


Fokker D.VII

Kit: Revell (1:72)

Revell Fokker D.VII kit. The wings were cut from the top wing. This was started this in the late 70's and finished it in 1998.


Fokker D.VII

Kit: Revell (1:72)

Revell's 1/72 kit of the Fokker DVII built to practice using 20 thousand brass rod for struts, making engine panels and louvers from scratch, cutting rib tapes from solid sheet and weathering with oils. Corrected the top wing's erroneous dihedral. Scheme came from 1973 IPMS/UK magazine. Flown by Lt. Hans Schultz Jasta 18, shot down June 1918. The red may be too bright, but it really looks great!


Fokker Dr.I Prototype

Kit: Eduard (1:72)

This is a conversion of the Eduard kit in 1/72. The changes were made after studying pictures of the prototype, counting ribs and then cutting off pieces of the Eduard kit until the rib count was correct ( the Eduard kit has the correct number of ribs for the production version). The top and middle wing plus the fuselage were shortened. The horizontal stab and elevator was changed. New cabane struts were made and the big problem was getting the top wing to line up with only those two struts. The bracing wire is 5 thousand music wire which added much to stability. Too much work for the end result! Not a very colorful model and very small! I would not have flown this plane!


Hansa Brandenburg D.I

Kit: Toko (1:72)

Toko 1/72nd Hansa Brandenburg D.I. "I worked real hard to get all the defects out of this and still missed a major "ripple" under the fuselage, that I couldn't have corrected anyway. Took third and I'm very happy. To be as plain as this scheme is, it looks great. I built a new whatist on the radiator and corrected the dimples in the gun. The rod struts are 5 to brass rod blackened in RR solution. Very delicate but strong! The instrument faces were painted with a special paint brush with only three hairs!"


Up | Chez Bill Powers | Gallery | Home