Paul Howard's Central Powers Models
I made a few minor modifications to the standard Glenco Albatros D.III.
The project took me about six months to complete, but since I really wanted a
D.III, it seemed more like a year. I was kind of disappointed with how it
turned out, but the finish was fun to try. Maybe the Eduard D.III will turn
out better ......
Scratchbuilt the interior
Installed a modified Aeroclub 160 HP Mercedes engine
Replaced the kit wheels with correct size Aeroclub parts
Built and Installed a set of Fotocut Spandau machine guns
Extensively reworked the aft fuselage and horizontal stabilizer
Scratchbuilt the tailskid and all struts
Cut and repositioned the control surfaces
Added rib detail to wings and tailplane
Rigged the model with streched sprue.
1/48th Koster Fokker E.V - This project was done before Eduard and DML
released injection molded versions of the plane. Actually, I finished it a
week and a half before the Eduard kit was released... I added some special
items to the kit and was pretty happy with the finished product. (Until I saw
the Eduard kit)
The lozenge is Super Scale and was closer to the colors specifed by D.S.
Abbot than any other available at the time. I haven't seen some of the
new lozenge releases, so there may be others available now that are better.
Soldered wire internal fuelage framework
Scratchbuilt horizontal and verticle tail assemblies
Cut and repositioned control surfaces
Replaced engine with one from the DML Triplane
Replaced the cowling with a highly modified one from the DML Triplane
Model is rigged inside and out with streched sprue
Siemens Schuckert D.III - I worked on this project a little over 2 years from
start to finish. I did make some modifications and corrections, most of the
time was wasted in long stints of waiting for various decals sheets. I tried
several new techniques on this kit such as using three coats of sepia ink to
produce the dark shade of wood for the fuselage, and using a watchmaker's lathe
to produce the wheels.
Items of interest:(probably only to me)
Detailed and installed an Atlee resin engine
Thinned the cowling
Thinned and reworked the flying surfaces
Opened the intakes on the fuselage and cooling scoops on spinner (and made
sure the holes were a reverse image of the scoops)
Cast a pair of wheels, using RTV molds made from a master which I turned on a
Corrected the angle for the vertical stabilizer
Simulated the dark stained wood fuselage using multicolored washes, pencil, and
sepia drawing ink.
The five color lozenge decals for both upper and lower surfaces are from
Rigged inside and out using a combination of stretched sprue and invisible
Overall, I am fairly pleased with the outcome. I'm very pleased with the way
the prop, the engine, the cowling and the guns came out, but the wood didn't
turn out as well as I'd hoped. After repainting the fuselage four times due to
scratches in the incredibly delicate ink, I 'm just glad the beast is done.
I'd like to say that this was one of the easiest models I've built , but the
guys here in Abilene who heard me complaining while I was working on it, would
blow the whistle on me in a heartbeat. Oh yeah, I started this plane for me,
but I finished it for Fred Helmick. After two years of hearing him ask "When
are you gonna finish that Siemens", I finally get to hear something else...
Return to The WWI Images Page