German Models
by Sanjeev Hirve

Up | Chez Sanjeev Hirve | Gallery | Home

Fokker D.VIII

Kit: Eduard (1:48)

This is the Eduard 1:48 kit, built out-of-the-box.  This was my first WWI model and my introduction to the WWI Modelling List, and to Eduard.  The brittle plastic came as a surprise after years of Tamiya and Monogram. The wheel spokes were a challenge, and the wing attachment was a nightmare.

Pfalz D.III

Kit: Eduard (1:48)

This is the Eduard 1:48 kit, built completely out-of-the box.  Colours are Tamiya Flat Red and Blue.  Rigging is monofilament fishing line.  This is my 2nd WWI subject, and obviously I have a lot to learn.

Albatros Dr.I

Kit: Eduard (1:48)

This is Eduard's 1:48 kit of a rare model.  My article on this model is at Roll Models.

Albtros D.Va

Kit: Model Expo (1:16)

This is the 1:16 kit from Model Expo.  A nice change from plastic kits. The engine and the interior plumbing were fun to build.  The control surfaces work... barely.  The model was showing signs of age by the time it was photographed.  The Mercedes DIII also served as a reference for detailing 1:48 subjects.

Rumpler 6.B1

Kit: Copper State (1:48)

I plan to build this kit Out-of-the-box. The only non-OOB features will be the parts that are listed in the kit instruction as scratch-built, the rigging, and the plumbing between the radiator and the engine.

April 2006

Some in-progress shots on my Rumpler 6B.1
The close up of the cockpit shows the joint between the fore and aft decking, as well as the milliput repairs to the fore decking where the edge cracked.

The prop is my third attempt at painting. Painting a prop is a lot harder than carving one for veneer.
The under-carriage assembly is made with brass Strutz stock soldered at the joints. I soldered the assembly in-place in the jig - thereby ensuring that it would fit into the right holes! Some of the struts are made from flat stock that I filed to cigar cross-section.
The jig serves to align the fuselage, floats and wings. I measured each u/c strut in the jig, and also soldered it mostly in place. The jig will also serve to measure the inter-plane struts, and during the rigging.
Considering the amount of time I spent constructing the jig, it may be time to get the Aeroclub article!

August 2006

The finished model.

The camouflage was spray painted using wet silk paper for masking. Finally the model was weathered with weathering powder.

Up | Chez Sanjeev Hirve | Gallery | Home