This is the second of the three
TOKO Nieuport 11s, in Belgian livery. I used the decals by Warbirds.
The TOKO Nieuport 11 is a honey
of a kit. It goes together well with no problems. I understand that it has some
accuracy problems, but once its together, it looks like a Nieuport 11 to me. I
bought three of them and built this one straight out of the box in Georges Guynemere's
livery. It does not have the black border seen on most French N. 11s because the
instructions don't call for it and because I found a photo of a Guynemere N. 11
without the borders.
After building the N.16, I had a nifty ski undercarriage left over. I
also had one more Toko N.11 kit to build and decided to put the skis on
it. Of course it had to be a Russian aircraft, so I used the skull and
crossbones squadron marking. No photos were used in the construction of
this model. It was conjecturally constructed from the skis up to the
Russian "Colt" machinegun.
Kit: Eduard (1:48)
This is the Eduard Limited Edition Profipak Nieuport 16 kit modeled as a
Belgian Nieuport 11. Although Eduard would have you build this as a 16
(flipping the engine around), photographic evidence indicates to me that
this aircraft was an 11. A detailed build of this model is available in
the May Internet Modeler.
Kit: SMER (1:48)
While building the two Eduard kits (N.11 and N.16), I had some left over
parts that I decided to use to spruce up the SMER N. 11. Most of these
parts went into the interior, but on the outside, I used the Lewis and
the interplane struts from Eduard. Building this alongside the Eduard
kits really emphasized it shortcomings. On the plus side -- the kit fit
together better than the more modern ones did. It represents Raoul
Lufbery's Lafayette Escadrille mount with decals from Americal-Gryphon.
As part of their Nieuport 11 offerings, Toko also produced a N.16 kit
which used most of the same sprues as the N.11. I bought this one while
in a Nieuport building frenzy. In the midde of the build, I discovered
that Toko had not printed the decals correctly, leaving me with an
all-white serial number. After posting a plea on the list, Grzegorz
Mazurowski sent a replacement all the way from Poland!
While building the Eduard Profipak kit as a Belgian N. 11, I decided to
build my Nieuport 11 as a 16, using bits and pieces of both kits -- a
mini-kitbash, if you will. I have modeled Lafayette Escadrille airman
Bert Hall's mount using decals from Americal-Gryphon. I have tried
(vainly I think) to replicate the unusual upper wing camouflage that was
applied to this airframe. Being color-blind, it is extremely difficult
for me to see any difference between the dark green and the dark brown
paints that I have used. However, I used the FS# call-outs in the
Windsock Nieuport Special Volume One to select the paints.
While experiencing Nieuport fever
and building whatever kind of varient I could, i decided to rehabilitate two Nieuport
17s I had built several years ago. This is the ESCI with Nungesser's decals, bult
out of the box withouteven detailing the interior. Rehab consisted of re-rigging
with .005 tippet line and steel wires.
This is the second ESCI rehab
project. Rehab consisted of taking off the top wing, re-painting and redecalling.
Rigging is .005 tippet line and steel wire. This is an aircraft from "C"
Flight of 29 squadron -- but don't look for a photo of the prototype, it doesn't
exist. I armed it with a Vickers and a Lewis because some were armed that way.
Just as I was starting the Eduard N.21, I found an old 1/72 scale ESCI
N.17 model in the back room of a local hoby shop. The owner only wanted
$3 for it, so I bought it. I decided to build it as an N. 21 at the
same time I was doing the Eduard kit. I located the appropriate
machinegun, engine and cowling in my spares box and the result is how
you see it here. Regarding the decals--they're from the Toko N. 16 kit.
I seem to remember a debate on the list that the N.16 decals with the
knight's head for the Russian aircraft were actually for an N. 21. So
that's how I chose this scheme.
Right in the middle of my Nieuport frenzy, I purchased the 1/48 scale
Eduard N. 21. As far as I'm concerned this is a viceless kit. The only
heavy filling and sanding that I needed to do was on the bottom seam of
the fuselage. I picked Lufbery's scheme as I intend to build all of
that ace's aircraft. This is the first.
Late last year while prowling the aisles of a local hobby shop (With 10
stores not counting Hobby Lobbies and Michael's, Dallas/Fort Worth has
got to be hobby shop heaven) I found one of the few Revell Nieuport 17
kits that Matt hasn't got his hands on. As I had already done three
N.17s, I decided to do this one as a Belgian 23. The deccals came from
the spares box, and I used a slightly modified Warbirds decal from it's
N. 11 pack. The gun mounting was modified to represent the 23's off set
arrangement. I used the profile in the Windsock Datafile Special as a
I had been on the list for six months and was beginning to realize I wasn't able
to see the rigging on my 1/72 aircraft as good as I could when I was 15-20 years
With all the praise for Eduard 1/48s, I decided to give the "Balloon Scale"
a shot, using an inexpensive Glencoe kit -- the Nieuport 28.
I had a great time fixing up the interior, using the NASM Web site as a reference.
I added aftermarket extras like the Aeroclub engine, propellor, seat and machine
guns; the Copper State Models instruments; and the Roseparts cowl, wheels and
I have a collection of "Shark Mouth" aircraft, so I chose the toothy decal
option depicted. It's rigged with .008 guitar string. This is still the only
WW 1 1/48 model in my collection, but I've got quite a few in the closet now.
This is the 1/72 Revell N. 28 with the Rosemont cowl, Aeroclub guns and
a replacement propeller. Decals are from a couple of Superscale sheets
for the USAS in WW 1.