My kit of the 1/72 Roden Fokker D.VI model did not have any decals. Rather
than attempt to get replacements, I went ahead and used aftermarket product
from Americal-Gryphon (lozenge) and SuperScale (everything else). I used the
kit instructions to apply the paint.
Although not technically accurate (the kit ustilizes the Fokker Triplane
fuselage/empenage sprue instead of producing an accurate D VI fuselage)
I love the way this kit looks, with its family resemblance to both the
Triplane and the D VII.
I took the Revell D VII kit and hypothesized another paint scheme. I
used Americal/Gryphon four-color lozenge and Superscale 1/16" black
This would be another of fictional pilot Lt. Mark Falke's hypothetical
This is Roden's Early Fokker D VII kit using Rudolf Berthold's
I addressed the lower wing problem by cutting it in half and filling
the gap with sprue. A couple of the cabane struts had to be trimmed.
For some reason, the balkenkruz on the fuselage sides shows up better
my digital camera than it does in real life. In real life, you can
barely see it. Curious.
This is Roden's 1/72 kit of the early Albatros version of the D VII
that was finished in Carl Degelow's mount. As with
the Berthold bird,
cut the lower wing in half and filled the gap with styrene. The
problem with this kit were the decals. They wouldn't lie down (lay
down?). I even used Solvaset to no avail. On the lower wings, I
white glue -- a messy, slow process. On the upper wing, I used
Liquid cement -- a scary, quick process that melted the deals down
the plastic. Used very little cement. Be careful if you try to
duplicate. I messed up the Roden white stag and replaced it with the
Models version I had in my stash.
This is Monogram's 1/48th scale Fokker D VII. I got the idea for the color
scheme from the boxtop for Eduard's 1/72 SPAD XIII. I thought that was one
sharp-looking D VII getting shot up. I'm guessing this depiction is about as
hypothetical as Klien's Pfalz D XII. So, I'll just say that the fictional
pilot of this hypothetically painted bird is Hauptmann Eduard Bauxtaupf.
Regarding the kit: I really liked the way this old-timer went together. I
hardly used any putty at all and only sanded lightly a few times. I detailed
the cockpit with strip and rod styrene and with Eduard's detail set. I used
some of Eduard's exterior details, too, but not the replacement engine panels.
I may use these on another kit.
This is another rendition of the venerble 1/48 scale Monogram Fokker D
VII. I detailed the interior with strip and rod styrene and some Eduard
WW I instrument faces (see the close-up). The five-color decals are
from Pegasus. The national insignia from the kit.
I built the 1/72 scale Fokker D.VIII out-of-the-box, including using the
rather bright decals. In an attempt to tone them down I applied them on
an overall PolyScale Fokker Dark Green finish. This worked better on
the underside decals.
I decided on Polish markings after the list discussion on how Nov. 11
was Polish Independence Day and reading stories of the purloined
aircraft and heterogenous squadrons that made up the fledgling Polish
I used Dave Zulis' blue tack method to apply the top wing, only my
tack was yellow.
This is the Eduard 1/72 Fokker. I found it to be an easier build that the Roden
version. It also finishes out cleaner. The photoetched struts weren't as big
a bear as I thought they'd be. Lozenge by Americal Gryphon. Otherwise kit
decals are used.
Kit: DML (1:48)
I came across this kit at an IPMS event and decided to add it to my collection. The kit decals had deteriorated, so I used my surplus Superscale supply. Colors for Kühn's aircraft are Tamiya Red and Modelmaster Flat White.
Kit: Monogram (1:48)
I bought a handful of these Monogram kits to use as a canvas for the colorful schemes of the type while using Superscale decals. Paint for Piel's Fokker includes Modelmaster Willow Green and Ceramcoat acrylic Prussian Blue. I also carved off the kit's louvres and preplaced them with Eduard photoetch.
I bought a handful of these Monogram kits to use as a canvas for the colorful schemes of the type while using Superscale decals. Paint for Stark's Fokker includes Modelmaster Flat white and Humbrol World War I Blue. I also carved off the kit's louvres and preplaced them with Eduard photoetch.