Here is my second Voss
triplane. It's the Eduard kit. As everyone else has said, it's a gem. I replaced
the top wing, horizontal tail and cowl with Roseplane parts. I did the streaks
the same as for the Roden kit, but not with the same results. One thing I failed
to mention in my notes for the Roden kit is that when doing the streaks it is
important to keep the green paint "wet" with thinner while you are streaking it
on. I decided I needed to do a second Voss triplane because of the ongoing controversy
over whether the cowl was green or yellow. The yellow version comes from historian
Alex Imrie, who has written the definitive "Fokker Triplane." It seems to me that
most of the WW I community sides with the green-cowl faction. Most stating their
reason that the white "face" could not be seen on a yellow background.
I used Gunze-Sangyo's "Orange-Yellow" for the cowl, as the shade of yellow
described by Imrie is "Chrome Yellow." Gunze's "Orange-Yellow" is a good match
for the "Chrome Yellow" used by the US Navy between the wars. The USN also placed
white designs (flight markings) on "Chrome Yellow" wings. The white stands out
nicely. Additionally, period ortho prints of USN "Chrome Yellow" wings are as
dark as the period ortho prints of Voss' cowl.
This is the 1/72 Roden kit built out-of-the-box. I sanded the horizontal tail
in an attempt to get it to represent the rounded tail of the F.1. The turqoise
color was acheived by mixing three PolyScale paints, several squirts each of Russian
Underside Blue and RLM Light Blue until the right shade was acheived. Then a squirt
of Fokker Green was added for the greenish tint. The Gunze Sanyo Dark Green streaks
were applied with a #2 flat head brush, but subsequent reapplications on the fuselage
sides were done with a 6/0 round brush.
The decals were a little large, requiring trimming on the wings and the fact
that the fuselage crosses ended up a little too far forward.
The anomalous white streaks in some photos are the result of dust or scratches
on the negative. Fortunately none of these appear on the model itself, just
on the background.
Kit: Roden (1:72)
This is the 1/72 Roden kit. I did the streaks a little different than
the F.1s. First, I applied Gunze Sangyo OD Green over Humbrol Concrete.
I tried to make the streaks lighter by charging the brush less often.
I airbrushed Tamiya Gloss Yellow on the top wing and fuselage. But I
wish I had brushed it on. I think the streaks would have shown through
better. Tamiya Dark Yellow was used for the cross backgrounds. Tamiya
Red was used for the cowl and landing gear, while I used ModelMaster Tan
for the tires.
Kit: Eduard (1:72)
This is the 1/72 Eduard kit with Roden decals. Not much to say. Nice kit.