An old classic that got me started in WWI modeling. Prior to this a/c, the
only other biplane I had built was the 48th scale Hawker Fury made by
Life-Like kits. Decals are Eagle Strike for 10 RNAS squadrons A flight. I
added some scratchbuilt details to the interior, but other than that its
pretty much out of box. I know its nowhere near the new Eduard, but ut was fun
and I will probably do the old Monogram DVII since I have some extra decals
sheets for that aircraft.
Kit: Eduard (1:48)
My first monoplane cookup model is the elderly Eduard Morane L. This kit had alot of P/E but it was pretty decent to work with.
I finished it with the kit markings of VC winning RNAS pilot A.J. Warneford. The decals are old (kit says 1995) so i did coat
them with some Krylon Crystal Clear. The decals stayed intact with the exception of the upper roundels. I added some white
decal film cut in the diameter of the white in the roundel. That fixed most of the issues with them. I really liked the P/E bomb
rack and release mechanism Eduard included. I robbed a DH-9 kit for the 2 bombs and added them to the bomb rack. The dark brown trim
is decal film airbrushed with a Humbrol chestnut shade. I used the decal to outline the edges and filled in the rest with a brush.
I rigged the model with easy line and super glue. I used fine copper wire for control cables and white glue for most turnbuckles.
I sprayed some decal film and used this to make rib tapes. I then used the airbrush and pastels for the shading around the ribs.
The propeller was sprayed with Testors wood. I masked off the laminations and used an acrylic burnt umber for the darker laminated wood.
I then sealed the prop with Tamiya clear amber. I really enjoyed building this model and am glad I grabbed it at a swap meet a few years ago.
The 48th scale Eduard Nieuport 17. Aeromaster decals. Bobs Buckles and stretched cotton bud with monofilament rigging.
This is the first time I have built this kit. I really enjoyed building it and am glad I have a few more in the stash.
Now I need to do one in RFC colors. Great little kit!
I just finished this kit. It was an enjoyable build. After reading Echos of
Eagles I decided to do it in A flight markings of the 95th Aero. My references
for this scheme were few, so it is an educated guess on some bits. Decals are
from several sources including the kit, Glencoe for the mule and #5s, Americal
for the top roundels. The red diamonds on the cowling are individually cut
from a spare Minicraft sheet and coated over with Future. I installed
seatbelts made from wine bottle foil and Lone Star buckles. I used the
LoneStar etched seat and installed a cushion made from modeling clay. Rigged
with stretched sprue painted Floquil Old Silver.
This is the Eduard Profopack Spad XIII Early kit. A nice kit overall. The fuselage required some sanding to fit well and the front nose ring needed some tweaking. But overall a very nice kit. Alot of detail for the price. Rigged with monofilament and the turnbuckles are from Bob Buckles as well as stretched cotton bud. This is the first time I tried this method and I do like the results. I believe I can fine tune it some more to make an more realistic turnbuckle. When I read about this method I had my doubts it could be done...but it can and does work well. I have always liked the markings of this a/c. I definitely plan on more Eduard Spads builds soon.