Kit: Eduard (1:48)
The Eduard Profipack version... A very nice kit, indeed. Paints are: Guess
what..? Yeah..! Humbrol Enamels. Most of the colors were the result of
several mixes till I found the right shades (specially elusive was that
Venetian Red for the wings uppersurfaces). The laminated propeller was
masked and airbrushed in two shades of Brown. And the rib tapes on the CDL
wing tip were also masked and then airbrushed... As a matter of fact, I
used a great amount of masking tape in this one... You know..? I really
I've seen pictures of this plane with captions stating that this
particular plane was flown by some Lt. Weber, but looking at that N°1 on
the underwing, I'm convinced that this was flown by Lör, cause.. Wasn't the
N°1 a prerogative of the
The Eduard "Mailed Fist" D-V with a different finish. I opened the cowling
area, added detail to the engine section, opened a couple of inspection doors
on the undersides, put a headrest on top of the fuselage, added a black border
to the tail Eiserne kreuze (this was done by superimposing the Kreuz decal
over the Bertrab's Albatros D-III one, which had the colors reversed and was a
bit larger), enlarged (hand painted) the white border to the fuselage crosses
and not much more.
Paints are Humbrols and the rigging is invisible thread.
Kit: Scratch (1:48)
Scratchbuilt from plastic card. The engine is a Mercedes from an Eduard
Albatros or Pfalz kit converted into a 200 HP Hiero engine with bits of
plastic, wire and stretched sprue. Propeller was carved from a piece of
plastic. The fuel tank behind the seat is a sheet of brass curved to shape (my
good friend Martin Afflitto wisely says that nothing looks more like brass
than real brass). The radiator is a modified one from the scrap box (I'm still
trying to figure to which kit from the past it belonged). Paints are Humbrol
71 for the CDL wings and the wooden veneer of the hull and wing floats were
hand painted with a mix of some synthetic enamels which brand I can't
remember. The Scwarzlömachine gun is from the Blue Max D-III (Oef) kit.
Rigging is stretched sprue.
Ahh... At a later date and after a close look at some pictures of Banfield's
plane, I modified the hull codes (from A24 into A.24.)
This is the Eduard Nie 23 kit with a scratchbuilt cowling and a modified
engine, (It was done before Eduard released their Nie 21).
I added a transparent top wing center section, which was done with
cellophane from a cigarette packet envelope doped with clear varnish after
carving and scratchbuilding the internal wing structure. The finishing was
done with Tamiya Acrylic Flat Aluminum and a couple of coats of AV Vallejo
Acrylic Matt Varnish (I'm not quite satisfied with the final appearance... I
guess that Russian Aluminum finish was a lot duller... Not so bright as the
French one). The red number 3 was cut from a red decal sheet and the Russian
Navy flag on the fuselage sides were hand painted on white decal. Rigging is
invisible thread painted steel.
The Eduard kit, an excellent one... As many of you say: "It just fell OOB
Paints are Humbrols, Dark Earth mixed with black for the PC10, Linen 71 for
the undersides of wings and horizontal tail surfaces and Semi Gloss Black for
the cowling, nose metal panels, wheel discs and tailfin. Rigging is painted
A very useful reference were the pictures I took to the Sopwith Triplane (and
many other beauties resident there, of course) when I visited Hendon several
There's not much more to say about it... I really enjoyed making this one.